Cannot connect to XMPP through AT&T internet

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Sat Aug 18 21:19:38 EDT 2012

On 8/18/2012 3:08 PM, Ryan Christian wrote:
> So I'm having problems connecting to Jabber through Pidgin via AT&T
> internet. I'm not sure why, never encountered this before, but here
> are the logs. Can anyone make any sense of this? I have flushed the
> DNS but this did not help. Is that what would fix the problem, though?
> I have an AT&T router which does not allow DNS configuration so I
> can't use OpenDNS either. Here are the logs if anyone can make sense
> of it:
> *
> <...>
> *I have no idea what to do to connect. While at another house on a
> different ISP pidgin connected to jabber just fine. As I said, AT&T
> doesn't allow DNS config on my router so that's out of the question. I
> don't know how to set up a BOSH proxy or anything else either. Why
> won't it connect and what can I do about it? Currently, I can only
> connect to AIM through pidgin, and MSN and Yahoo refuse to connect as
> well, but it's Jabber that's getting to me.

It definitely looks like a DNS issue, I'm able to retrieve SRV records
from here, so I think my first call would be to AT&T to get working DNS
or to arrange partial payment for partial connectivity.

Failing that, why can't you use alternative DNS servers as configured on
your machine itself rather than at the router level?

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/