Hotmail Issue

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Thu Aug 23 13:17:41 EDT 2012

On 8/23/2012 6:06 AM, Chris wrote:
> I am currently running Pidgin 2.10.5 (libpurple 2.10.5) on a Windows 7
> Ultimate 64bit machine. On several occasions now I have logged onto my
> machine to see that I've been kicked off of Pidgin due to the
> following error message:
>
> "1 account was disabled because you signed on from another location:
> <my email>@hotmail.com"
>
> I don't log into my Hotmail account from any other machines and of
> course the first time I seen this I thought that my account must have
> been popped, so I changed the password. Since then it has happened 3
> additional times, and each time I have changed my password. Seeing as
> I use KeePass to randomly generate passwords each password has been
> very different from the last in addition to always being the maximum
> length permitted. I also scan my machine with McAfee, Malwarebytes,
> and Secunia on a weekly basis and I'm on a network that is monitored
> by an IDS. Since this started I have found nothing of concern.
>
> I did find another post where someone else brought up this same issue,
> however it appears to have been dismissed as a 'hacked' account. Is
> there a possibility that maybe the Hotmail accounts are simply timing
> out and instead of showing that, the "you signed in from another
> location" message appears instead?

I suspect that something is up on Hotmail's end, I had similar issues on
two accounts. Suspecting my passwords had been compromised I changed
them both, one from my desktop and the other from my iPad over 3G.

Both experienced the same issue within a couple hours, which to me,
indicates that it's something on Hotmail's end; even if one of my
systems or networks or similar were compromised, it wouldn't cause
issues on both accounts.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/