URI protocol for invoking pidgin

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Wed Aug 29 10:43:50 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Mohamed Hamed <mohamed.sayed at oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi Support.
>
> I need to develop html hyperlink to invoke pidgin and open chat window for
> specific body.
>
> By searching the net. I found that pidgin on my pc has registered the xmpp
> protocol.
>
> I have used the following :
>
>    xmpp: user at domain.com
>

> first time, when I clicked the hyper link, I was asked to confirm pidgin
> application, and I did, but nothing happen after that, and the pidgin did
> not open.
>
> In regedit , this is the configuration of the xmpp protocol
>

>   C:\Program Files\Pidgin\pidgin.exe --protocolhandler=%1
>

> For debuggin, I tried to run this from command prompt and it did not work.
> It seems that pidgin.exe does not accept any parameter to open a buddy chat
> window.
>

> Please help how I can implement that.

The URI handling for XMPP accounts follows XEP-0147
(http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0147.html).

You need to specify that you want to send a message - the URI handler
can also be used to add buddies and join MUCs:

xmpp:user at domain.com?message

You can optionally specify the account for the case where you have
multiple XMPP accounts (this is not part of the XEP because the XEP
doesn't consider the case for several accounts) , and an optional
value to pre-populate the message window with:

xmpp:user at domain.com?account=myusername at domain.com;message;body=Hi

Note that these will only work if Pidgin is currently running, Pidgin
will not be launched based on a URI handling attempt.

-D