Pidgin and Jabber

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Wed Aug 29 10:48:12 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM, auto59872302
<auto59872302 at hushmail.com> wrote:
> Using Windows 7.  Suddenly my Jabber account set up in Pidgin will not
> make a connection. Normally, I make the connection over a tor proxy
> without any problem. Has something changed I am not aware of?  How can I
> go about finding out the cause of this problem?  :(

Is this a jabber.org account?

If so, the problem is that jabber.org had moved the server and has
updated the SRV DNS record to point to the new server - since you're
using Tor, DNS SRV is disabled because that can't be done through
SOCKS5, so Pidgin doesn't know which server to connect to.  You may
specify "hermes.jabber.org" in the "Connect server" field of the
"Advanced" settings of your account to make Pidgin to connect to the
new server.

-D