URI protocol for invoking pidgin

Steven Gauna smcgauna at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 21:27:46 EDT 2012

Hmm, I am seeing something different than you Mohamed.

I've opened up Firebug's javascript console in Firefox and entered the
command:
> window.location='xmpp:user.name at oracle.com?message;body=SR 12345';

I opened up Pidgin's debug log and saw the following:
(18:07:43) winpidgin: Got protocol handler request:
xmpp:user.name at oracle.com?message;body=SR%2012345
(18:07:43) util: Processing message '
user.name at oracle.com?message;body=SR%2012345' for protocol 'xmpp' using
delimiter ';'.

What I saw in my conversation window was exactly:
SR%2012345

In the documentation on
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0147.html#actions-message, it seems to say
that the %20 should be translated to a space, but that is not what I am
seeing.  Using latest version of pidgin on Windows with the following
protocol handler:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Pidgin\pidgin.exe" --protocolhandler=%1

Running the following command:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Pidgin>pidgin --protocolhandler=
xmpp:user.name at oracle.com?message;body=SR%2012345

Results in the same behavior.  However, running:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Pidgin>pidgin --protocolhandler=
xmpp:user.name at oracle.com?message;body=SR 12345

Results in the behavior Mohamed Hamed is reporting.  This seems to be due
to the fact that Windows has no proper way of escaping spaces in a
parameter.  So 12345 is passed as %2 which is ignored by Pidgin.  Even
trying ^ and \ had no results in escaping the space character.  Although, I
think the real problem here is that Pidgin does not seem to be decoding the
body parameter as expected.  At least not for me.

Anyone else getting different results?
--
Steven Gauna