Links don't open

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Sun Dec 2 12:46:05 EST 2012

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Jake Lauer <jake.lauer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've been using Pidgin for a long time, but recently a problem has cropped
> up. I think it might be related to the fact that I switched to Windows 8
> from Windows 7 recently. Anyway, now, whenever I click on a link of any kind
> in Pidgin, nothing happens. The link turns red/purple like it's active, but
> the browser doesn't open. I have to copy the link and paste into a browser
> to get it to work. Any ideas?

There's unfortunately quite a bit of misinformation in the responses
you've gotten so far.

The browser usage has never been configurable on Windows; Pidgin
simply uses the system browser (and this is known to work on Windows 8
- there are a few issues with SSL links not opening correctly, but
that's a different issue than what you're reporting).

The solution to the type of problem that you're seeing is almost
always to reset your default browser in Windows (the best way to do
this is to switch the default browser to another browser and then
back).

The only other possibility that I can think of is that you're running
Pidgin as a different user than your desktop session (one common way
that this can happen is if you launch Pidgin using the checkbox on the
last step of the installer (the ability to do this has now been remove
to avoid this, and other problems).

-D