Can't stop Buddy List from appearing on startup

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Sat Feb 18 13:30:07 EST 2012

Bob spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I'm unable to disable the buddy list on startup. I'm running Ubuntu
> 10.10 & before that 10.04. I've installed extended preferences 0.7
> plugin and it doesn't work. I've written a script, as suggested on some
> forums, to start Pidgin after 60 seconds but the Buddy List still shows.
> Can you include a "Disable Buddy List on startup" option in a future
> release of Pidgin? It is really annoying to have to close it every time
> I reboot.

1) You're rebooting too often if this is an issue.

2) I don't understand the problem.  Do you want to prevent Pidgin from
   starting at login, or do you want the buddy list to be hidden when
   Pidgin starts?

   If it is the former, Pidgin starts at login only if it was running
   at logout under most DEs.  Quit Pidgin before logging out, and it
   won't appear at login.

Ethan