Unable to connect gchat to Pidget at work

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Tue May 8 15:56:15 EDT 2012

Daniel Stokes spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Advanced:
>
>    - Connection Security: Use old-style SSL
>    - Connect Port: 443 (tried 5222 as well)
>    - Connect Server: talk.google.com
>    - File Transfers Proxy: (Left as is) proxy.eu.jabber.org

You should be using 5222 with TLS, I believe.  However, I doubt this
is your problem, you'd get an SSL error if so.

> No matter which combination I try, I am unable to connect and I get a error
> stating:
>
> "daniel.stokes at gmail.com/Home disconnected - Not Authorized"

With gmail, this absolutely means that either your username or
password is entered wrong.  Do you have 2-factor authentication turned
on?  If so, you will need to follow the Google instructions for adding
an "application specific password" for Pidgin.  If not, try deleting
the Pidgin account and recreating it, carefully typing both the user
name and password.

Ethan