Issue connecting to Openfire

David McGuire DMcGuire at synacor.com
Wed May 9 14:10:05 EDT 2012

This is a "quality of life" issue more than anything. We have an OpenFire 3.7.1 XMPP server, and Spark as the client. This works fine. However, when you use Pidgin, you can't just put in the short JID name (jdoe), you have to put in the whole name (jdoe at chat.corp.company.com<mailto:jdoe at chat.corp.company.com>). Some of my users are complaining about this. In proper BOFH fashion I'm telling them to just deal with it or use Spark, but if I can come up a solution to allow a chat through the short name I'd be a hero.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to configure Pidgin to do this?