Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit - Ubuntu Desktop - Pidgin Main Menu missing

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Wed May 23 11:22:44 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Mark Fanara <mark.fanara at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed Pidgin including the plugins and updated via
> http://pidgin.im/download/
>
> pidgin -v shows
>
> Pidgin 2.10.4 (libpurple 2.10.4)
>
> When I first start pidgin, it prompts me for a user account (I create
> a Bonjour one). After that I see the Buddy List with now menu as shown
> in attachment.
>
> I have done some searching for this problem and found an old issue
> that says it is closed
>
> I have also looked at the ./purple/prefs.xml and confirmed hidemenu is
> not set to 1.
>
> Suggestions?

With the default Ubuntu window manager, none of your applications have
menus attached to their windows.
There is a "global" menu at the top of your screen which contains the
menu for the currently focused application.
Due to some sort of misguided attempt to make it look better, which I
think makes it even more confusing and less discoverable, the menu
isn't visible until you navigate over it with the mouse.

-D