Pidgin Appear Offline not working

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Thu Sep 20 11:44:06 EDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:57:23AM -0400, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> George Barnabas spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > I am a keen user of Pidgin multi messenger application. The appear
> > Offline is not working for Google talk protocol. It works for MSN
> > messenger.
>
> There is no standard, universal "appear offline" or "invisible" status
> for XMPP.  Some XMPP services or clients honor one of several
> mechanisms, I do not know that Google Talk honors any.  In any case,
> Pidgin does not support this.

Google Talk has an invisible status that they support but it is
inextricably linked to their shared status support which pidgin does not
(and will not) support.

I believe there is (at least one) plugin designed to shim in shared status
support so as to allow for Google Talk invisibility to work but I don't
know anything about them (though I think one might be listed on the
ThirdPartyPlugins page).

    -Etan