Unable to connect to Google Talk

Art ky1k at myfairpoint.net
Mon Apr 1 12:29:59 EDT 2013

Hi Rich,

Connecting with the various chat providers is very shaky in Pidgin. They
all provide text, but anything beyond that is iffy.

The issue is google's tracking ability. Pidgin doesn't allow google to
track you because you aren't logged into google directly. Chat providers
who specify that you must allow tracking of all your website browsing
are deciding not to allow users to connect indirectly via Pidgin. Note
that google actually uploads active content which must be running on
your computer-and active content makes plain old tracking cookies
obsolete. ACTIVE CONTENT RUNNING IN YOUR COMPUTER IS VERY VERY BAD FOR
YOUR PRIVACY.

Read the terms of service associated with google, and you'll begin to
see the light.

I run google when I want to make a phone call, but other than that,
google never runs in my system. When Ekiga internet phone is functional,
I will give google the boot completely.

I have transferred all my email to my ISP's account, which allows me to
download me to download email without a www browser (using pop3). This
also thwarts google and other entities from tracking me online.

In closing, make sure you aren't loggged into google at the same time
you try to use Pidgin-some chat providers don't allow this.

Enjoy,

Art