MSN Question

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Tue Apr 2 16:50:58 EDT 2013

Mark Doliner wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Accounting One <admin at accounting1.com.au> wrote:
>> With MSN closing down, will Pidgin still be ok to use? Will my MSN username/ password still work?
>
> We don't know.

To expand on that, Microsoft have never approved the use of Pidgin, or
any other open source software, to access the MSN service.  They have
therefore not provided any information to the Pidgin developers as to
how the transition to Skype will be achieved, and in particular, whether
  or not the existing interface will be retained.

Because of reasons to do with licensing of the Skype libraries and the
trade secret, and encrypted nature of the Skype protocols, official
support for Skype will not happen within the foreseeable future.

Your MSN credentials should become valid for Skype, but will require the
use of the official Skype client.  (I don't know if the non-Windows
Skype clients have been maintained across the transition.)

--
David Woolley