tor/privacy (socks5) option giving ssl error

Ileana ileana at fairieunderground.info
Tue Apr 2 19:08:57 EDT 2013

Hello,

Pidgin 2.10.6 (libpurple 2.10.6)
4cfe697ea3ae39a4fb3dad8e3ed1c70855901095

I am trying to connect to Tor using Pidgin.  I am having a connection
issue.  Of the three proxy options socks4, socks5, and
tor/privacy(socks5), it seems I should be using tor/privacy(socks5).

This issue has come up on some Tor lists.

Can someone explain exactly what is the difference between Tor/Privacy
Socks5, and just Socks5, and whether you believe Pidgin to preserve the
anonymity?

And also, my question as to why on my system, socks 5 works, but
Tor/Privacy(Socks5) results in "SSL connection error" almost
immediately (i.e. I don't think it is even making any network activity,
it just immediately displays the SSL connect error.  Setting "Socks5"
works fine.

Thanks