How to weed out offline users from XMPP group chats ?

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Thu Apr 11 17:11:43 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 1:04 AM, Georgi Kodinov <Georgi at kodinov.net> wrote:
> 2013/4/11 Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net>
>>
>>  Hmm, I think all users in this list must be online.  I don't think
>>
>> it's possible to be offline but still appear in an XMPP group chat.
>
> Unfortunately that's what I see all the time with the oracle beehive jabber
> server I'm connecting to.
> I'm seeing a mix : some users disapear and some don't (and stay @ status
> offline). Should I report it as a bug ?

When this happens, do the users eventually disappear from the room?
Maybe after a few minutes?

My guess is that this is not a bug in Pidgin.  It seems more likely to
me that the XMPP server is having a difficult time detecting when a
user loses their connection (such as closing a laptop without signing
out first).  But I honestly don't know.

>> However, it IS possible for someone to be idle or away.  And in this
>> case I think your only hope is to right-click and get the status
>> throught he "Info" command.  You're right, it's cumbersome and Pidgin
>> could probably make this easier.
>
> +1. Does pidgin have a voting system for new features ? :)

Not really.  You can up-vote and down-vote tickets in our bug tracker
(little arrows above the ticket title), but we don't really use them
as an indicator of what to work on.