Another user who can't connect to Google Talk

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Fri Apr 12 09:07:19 EDT 2013

Anthony Papillion spake unto us the following wisdom:
> A few days ago, I noticed a user posted a message about not being able
> to connect with Google Talk. It doesn't look like the problem was ever
> resolved and I'm having the same problem.
>
> (06:05:09) proxy: Connecting to gmail.com:5222.
> (06:05:09) proxy: Error connecting to gmail.com:5222 (Connection timed out).

This looks like your DNS is broken.  SRV lookups are failing, and your
Google Talk is connecting directly to gmail.com, which is wrong.
(It's also possible you just snipped the relevant part of the log.)
If you run 'host -t SRV _xmpp-client._tcp.gmail.com', and it gives any
output other than something substantially similar to this:

_xmpp-client._tcp.gmail.com has SRV record 20 0 5222 alt4.xmpp.l.google.com.
_xmpp-client._tcp.gmail.com has SRV record 5 0 5222 xmpp.l.google.com.
_xmpp-client._tcp.gmail.com has SRV record 20 0 5222 alt1.xmpp.l.google.com.
_xmpp-client._tcp.gmail.com has SRV record 20 0 5222 alt2.xmpp.l.google.com.
_xmpp-client._tcp.gmail.com has SRV record 20 0 5222 alt3.xmpp.l.google.com.

... then that's the problem.  Your network is broken (probably a
crappy set-top home router, but possibly your ISP/DNS server), and
you're going to have to work around it.  You can put
'xmpp.l.google.com' in the Connect Server box of your GMail account
advanced preferences; this may cause you to have to clear a
certificate warning on connection, I am not sure.

Ethan