Another user who can't connect to Google Talk

Anthony Papillion anthony at cajuntechie.org
Fri Apr 12 09:48:18 EDT 2013

On 04/12/2013 08:07 AM, Ethan Blanton wrote:

> This looks like your DNS is broken.  SRV lookups are failing, and
> your Google Talk is connecting directly to gmail.com, which is
> wrong. (It's also possible you just snipped the relevant part of
> the log.) If you run 'host -t SRV _xmpp-client._tcp.gmail.com',
> and it gives any output other than something substantially similar
> to this:
>
> _xmpp-client._tcp.gmail.com has SRV record 20 0 5222
> alt4.xmpp.l.google.com. _xmpp-client._tcp.gmail.com has SRV record
> 5 0 5222 xmpp.l.google.com. _xmpp-client._tcp.gmail.com has SRV
> record 20 0 5222 alt1.xmpp.l.google.com.
> _xmpp-client._tcp.gmail.com has SRV record 20 0 5222
> alt2.xmpp.l.google.com. _xmpp-client._tcp.gmail.com has SRV record
> 20 0 5222 alt3.xmpp.l.google.com.
>
> ... then that's the problem.  Your network is broken (probably a
> crappy set-top home router, but possibly your ISP/DNS server), and
>  you're going to have to work around it.  You can put
> 'xmpp.l.google.com' in the Connect Server box of your GMail account
> advanced preferences; this may cause you to have to clear a
> certificate warning on connection, I am not sure.
>
> Ethan

Thank you, Ethan. It definitely does look like some kind of DNS
problem now. When I performed the lookup, I was told the host has no
SRV record. I did the lookup twice (once copying your text to be sure
I wasn't mistyping) and it returned the same result.

Now that I think of it, I did start to have this problem when I
upgraded my AT&T home DSL service to their UVERSE offering. Hmm...

Another thing though, I tried connecting to the account through Jitsi
and it didn't give me this error. Any idea why or if that means
anything at all?

Thanks,
Anthony