Best private server to replace MSN/WLM?

Michael Secord gizmokid2005 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 22:25:04 EDT 2013

On Aug 12, 2013 4:54 PM, <pidgin at nro.ca> wrote:

> Hi. I'm looking for suggestions for the best private, open source, and
free
> chat server to use with Pidgin, preferably one that supports file tranfers
> and offline messaging, if any. The server would be on linux and the
clients
> are all win 7. I can't seem to find that sort of simple intel browsing
> around the web and I assume there must be people here doing the same.

Personally, I'd suggest something XMPP based like openfire. They have
servers for both *nix and windows, at least win setup was very
straightforward and pidgin worked without issues. Pair that with something
like OTR and secure ports/protocol and you should be pretty set I imagine.

> I used Pidgin and MSN for personal inter-office chatting. MSN has been
100%
> dead for us for about a week now so it's time to replace it. I don't have
> connect to anyone on the outside. I emailed Oracle tech support but they
> have never heard of Pidgin. Just kidding ;)

We're sorry, our internal policies forbid us from recognizing any humor,
but hey, it's just policy! ROFLCOPTER!

-Michael