How to uninstall failed installation?

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Thu Aug 15 18:50:14 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM, Petebardo <petebardo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Someone started to install Pidgin on one of our machines. The installation
> failed. Now when I start up, a batch file runs. It attempts to delete a
> hidden file, then checks to see if the file still exists. Of course, it does
> still exist because you can't delete a hidden file that way without first
> un-hiding the file.
>
> The file is a numbered .exe file. When I look at the properties, It says
> something about Pidgin. I manually deleted the batch file and 4 of the
> numbered .exe files (each with a different number, but all the same size
> with the same properties). But it keeps doing this every time I re-start the
> machine.
>
> How do I get rid of this?

This doesn't sound like something that pidgin is responsible for - we
don't use batch files for anything.

You can use the Windows Registry to see what at is scheduled to run at
startup (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-program-automatic-startup-locations/)

I'd be a bit concerned that this is some malicious program that's
pretending to be pidgin.

-D