Fwd: about accounts file

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sun Aug 25 03:42:27 EDT 2013

El día Saturday, August 24, 2013 a las 03:53:21PM -0400, Ethan Blanton escribió:

> Tres Finocchiaro spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > I've never much understood Pidgins perspective on this.  Even base64 is
> > obscure enough to keep a human from reading it over the shoulder.
>
> Unless your password is very, very bad, a base64 encoding of the
> password should be of roughly similar complexity.  Therefore, anyone
> who can remember your password can remember the base64 -- and reverse
> it.

Not sure about this;

$ echo password | openssl enc -base64
cGFzc3dvcmQK

While one can easy see with a short eye shoot and remember the token
'password', it is not so easy pickup from the screen the token
'cGFzc3dvcmQK'.

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz               |  /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: www.asciiribbon.org