Fwd: about accounts file

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Sun Aug 25 09:04:42 EDT 2013

Matthias Apitz spake unto us the following wisdom:
> El día Saturday, August 24, 2013 a las 03:53:21PM -0400, Ethan Blanton escribió:
> > Unless your password is very, very bad, a base64 encoding of the
> > password should be of roughly similar complexity.  Therefore, anyone
> > who can remember your password can remember the base64 -- and reverse
> > it.
>
> Not sure about this;
>
> $ echo password | openssl enc -base64
> cGFzc3dvcmQK
>
> While one can easy see with a short eye shoot and remember the token
> 'password', it is not so easy pickup from the screen the token
> 'cGFzc3dvcmQK'.

Right -- if your passwords are *really really bad* and stupid, it
matters.  If that's the case, though, you need to get new passwords
ASAP.  My passwords are things like Oj4=puC/8jq, which is of similar
complexity to that base64 string.  Please reread my original
statement.

Ethan