How Do I Send SMS Messages Using My ICQ Account ?

Jay F Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Sun Dec 1 16:58:50 EST 2013

I created an ICQ account (683819039) so that I could use pidgin to
send free text messages to a cellphone in France.  But I can't even
send text messages to cellphones in the United States.

Using pidgin, I added buddies, whose names are the cellphone number
(e.g., +1773#######, or +1336########), to my ICQ account.  The pidgin
GUI tells me (filled-in circle to the left of the buddy alias) that
they are available, and also tells me (cellphone icon on the far
right, to the left of the ICQ protocol icon) that the buddies are
mobile phones.  I right-click the buddy alias, and select "IM" from
the popup menu.  A Conversation window appears, and it accepts the
text that I enter, giving me every visual indication that the SMS is
sent.  But it is not.  The cellphones never receive the SMS.  This is
the case, as far as I can tell, with every buddy account -- I created
4 such accounts, 3 in the United States and 1 in in France, and
attempted to IM each of them, and not one of them has received any
text messages.

Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

		Jay F. Shachter
		6424 N Whipple St
		Chicago IL  60645-4111
			(1-773)7613784   landline
			(1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
			jay at m5.chicago.il.us
			FedyaDolohov on AIM
			683819039 on ICQ

		"This was untrue.  I am not even faintly like a rose."