Feature Request/Update

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Tue Jan 15 17:58:16 EST 2013

Mark Doliner spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 7:41 AM, David Coulson <david at davidcoulson.net> wrote:
> > nothing to do with Pidgin.
>
> I think that's not entirely accurate.  I think Pidgin could support
> logging into Google Talk with oauth, in which case the user would
> enter their authentication credentials into their browser (including a
> one-time password, for people with 2-factor authentication enabled).
> In this case users would not need to generate an application specific
> password.
>
> I don't know how other people feel about this.  I'm mildly in favor of
> it.  The code is mildly Google specific... but I think our XMPP PRPL
> already has other Google-specific code.  And the oauth model is
> becoming increasingly more common.

I think it's a good idea.  I wish the various oauth providers would
get their crap together and standardize something, but I think MFA
auth is better than app passwords for sure.  Since the XMPP mechanism
allows us to support Google OAuth without breaking anything else...

Ethan