problems with MSN certificate chain

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Fri Jan 18 10:37:51 EST 2013

Matthias Apitz spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > Pidgin doesn't use the OS root certificates *only* on Windows.
>
> I'm not a native English and do not understand your phrase; could you
> please explain what you say; thanks

On non-Windows systems, there is often a certificate store that Pidgin
can use.  This includes all of the major Linux distributions.  Pidgin
packages can be configured to use this store, or they can be
configured to use their internal certificates, it is up to the package
creator.

On Windows, we don't use the system store.  I don't know why not, I
assume it's painful, probably because of poor OS design and
implementation.

Ethan