Missing contacts

Dennis Carr dennisthetiger at chez-vrolet.net
Mon Jan 28 17:23:13 EST 2013

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013, carri walker wrote:

> Hi Pidgin Support,

> Since Windows Live Messenger is going away and I don't like Skype, I
> tried Pidgin last week.  Unfortunately, it deleted some of my most
> important and oft-used contacts (perhaps when I was moving all the
> contacts into one group via the drag-and-drop option in the Pidgin
> toolbar??) not only from my messenger contacts but also from my Hotmail.
> AND - this is the weirdest part of all about this - I have also been
> removed from others' Windows Live and Hotmail accounts so they can't
> message me!  I'm back to using Windows Live Messenger now......Adding
> people back in and having them add me back in has been no easy task as -
> even when they get me re-added - I appear offline to them even though
> I'm online and others can see me as online.  I'm struggling with adding
> people back in because sometimes it tells me I already have a particular
> contact even though I can't see that contact in my list......There's so
> many weird things about this - it's a fiasco.

(snip for brevity)

Carri, you're likely right in that we can't help with the recovery, but
there are also developers on this list.  Is it at all possible you could
help us and/or the developers to reproduce this?  In a nutshell, the steps
you took (in summary) and the point where you realized there was a
problem would be a start.

-Dennis