Enabling Pidgin

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Mon Jul 8 20:49:25 EDT 2013

Nancy Holleran spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I have been using Pidgin successfully and about a week ago is states I
> am not authorized. I thought it might have gotten corruted so I
> download the latest version; during process it uninstalled the old
> version. I still have the same problem. What do I need to do to get
> started. We moved our office location but this shouldn't have caused
> the issue. Thanks

You need to contact Oracle IT.

Since you're a vice president, which I hope means you have some pull,
while you're there you need to tell them that their process for
handling IM support is terrible.  We get *many* messages from Oracle
users requiring technical support with the Oracle internal services,
which we cannot help with.  This is a public support mailing list for
the Pidgin instant messenger program, which is not developed or
maintained by Oracle.  It is a free, open source application with
support provided by community volunteers.  We have no access to Oracle
servers or systems.

We have contacted Oracle about this numerous times.  We have never
received a satisfactory response.  It doesn't look good for Oracle,
and it places a burden on a community from which Oracle is apparently
profiting.  We're glad that you can use our software over there, but
we do wish you'd get your technical support ducks in a row!

Ethan, Pidgin developer