Enabling Pidgin

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Tue Jul 9 01:40:25 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-08 17:49, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> We get *many* messages from Oracle
> users requiring technical support with the Oracle internal services,
> which we cannot help with.  This is a public support mailing list for
> the Pidgin instant messenger program, which is not developed or
> maintained by Oracle.  It is a free, open source application with
> support provided by community volunteers.  We have no access to Oracle servers or systems.

It might also be worth noting that, at least in some cases, Oracle users
feel they are corresponding with Oracle's own IT staff when they contact
the support at pidgin.im email address and therefore reveal information
they do not feel should be made publicly available.

Since this list is archived by multiple entities, it is not possible to
retract or remove a post once it's made, and therefore it is even more
important that Oracle handle their own support needs internally, lest
Oracle staff continue to unwittingly broadcast information into publicly
accessible archives.

http://pidgin.im/pipermail/support/2013-May/026779.html is one such example.

--
Dave Warren