re-enabling? Feature request

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Sat Mar 2 13:11:42 EST 2013

Tres Finocchiaro spake unto us the following wisdom:
> What triggers Yahoo to auto login at work? Is it aware of the signoff
> elsewhere?

What William is talking about is, when you sign onto Yahoo! (and some
other protocols) and you are already signed in elsewhere, you get a
popup that tells you this.  At that point you can forcibly sign out
the remote client if you wish, but the protocol does not allow
multiple clients to be connected simultaneously.

What he is asking for is a way to auto-logout the remote client and
sign in the local client only on *manual* status change (starting
Pidgin, changing from an offline status to an online status, etc.)
This prevents the flapping that someone else mentioned, but doesn't
require him to click through the dialog every login.

This is a very reasonable request, but as far as I am aware it is not
something we currently support.

I do suggest filing a feature enhancement ticket on the tracker
(http://d.pidgin.im/) for this, as others have suggested, because that
will provide a place for us to keep track of it and maximize the
chance that it happens.  Yahoo! is not currently one of our more
actively-developed protocols, so I don't know when that might be.

Ethan