Hostname vs Realm in XMPP

Paul paul_pidgin at airbred.com
Mon May 20 21:56:13 EDT 2013

Hello, I have a question about realm vs hostname in xmpp

My jabber id is paul at domain.com for example.My SRV says that the jabber
server for this is at jabber.domain.com

Pidgin passes the hostname rather than the domain name as the realm - so
passes jabber.domain.com to my jabber server (I am decoding the base64
in the debug log).  The jabber server then rejects the authentication as
being an unauthorised host.   This is with or without a connect server
defined in advanced.

I am wondering why pidgin doesn't pass the domain name as the realm, or
how I can otherwise get this to work.Xabber and Kopete both seem to
treat the domain name as the realm.

I doubt I am the only one where the domain name doesn't match the
hostname exactly, so I must have something not configured right.  The
backend is an ejabberd server.

Any ideas?

Paul