Hostname vs Realm in XMPP

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Mon May 20 23:52:42 EDT 2013

Paul spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Hello, I have a question about realm vs hostname in xmpp
>
> My jabber id is paul at domain.com for example.My SRV says that the
> jabber server for this is at jabber.domain.com
>
> Pidgin passes the hostname rather than the domain name as the realm
> - so passes jabber.domain.com to my jabber server (I am decoding the
> base64 in the debug log).  The jabber server then rejects the
> authentication as being an unauthorised host.   This is with or
> without a connect server defined in advanced.

If you create your account as paul at domain.com, and Pidgin does a SRV
lookup and gets jabber.domain.com, it shoul still log in with
paul at domain.com.  Are you sure your username is entered correctly?

> I am wondering why pidgin doesn't pass the domain name as the realm,
> or how I can otherwise get this to work.Xabber and Kopete both seem
> to treat the domain name as the realm.
>
> I doubt I am the only one where the domain name doesn't match the
> hostname exactly, so I must have something not configured right.
> The backend is an ejabberd server.

Those of us with accounts on pidgin.im have exactly this setup, and it
works correctly.  Google Talk is also this setup, and works correctly.
Something else is going on here.

Ethan