Pidgin 2.10.7 on Ubuntu Raring Ringtail 13.04

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Fri May 24 12:10:13 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 04:17:40PM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to steal the focus in raring ringtail whenever someone
> contacts me in Pidgin IM Conversation Window. I do a ALT-TAB to look at the
> conversation window if someone has pinged me during which i miss most
> important conversation. Any suggestions please?
> Screenshot -> http://i.imgur.com/AdX5ila.png
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Kaushal

Without a custom plugin or something like that the 'Present' option is
likely your best option (though 'Raise' is also a reasonable choice as it
will hit different limitations imposed by your desktop environment).

If you want every application to be able to steal focus at will then you
can look into turning off focus stealing prevention in your desktop
environment (though that may or may not be an option that is actually
exposed at this point).

The desktop environment might even be configurable enough to let you
bypass the protections for specific applications which would be best if
you only want pidgin to be able to do it; but I doubt most/many
environments are that configurable.

    -Etan