Having issue starting up

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Mon Nov 25 10:48:36 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Marilyn Montgomery <
marilyn.montgomery at oracle.com> wrote:

> I have a Dell Latitude laptop using Windows 7, and have it plugged into a
over-sized external monitor for easier viewing.

> I have used Pidgin for years, and to start the program each weekday
morning, I would double-click on my Pidgin shortcut icon on my Desktop.
 The software would then display the chat rooms that I have set for
AutoJoin, and then a minute or two later, the Buddy List would appear on
the right side of my monitor (overlayed over existing Desktop icons).  The
Buddy List window always had the standard Minimize, Maximize, and Close
buttons in its upper right-hand corner, and I would always minimize the
List to my Status bar at the bottom of the screen so that I could access it
as needed during the day.

> Recently, I had to disconnect my laptop from the external monitor so that
I could take the laptop down to the office.  When I brought it home and
re-attached it to the external monitor, the start-up process suddenly
changed.  Now when I double-click on the Pidgin icon on my desktop in the
morning, the chat rooms appear as expected, but the Buddy List no longer
sits on top of existing Desktop icons, it shoves them over to the left and
far left of my screen, and the buttons in the upper right-hand corner have
changed.  Now I get only a Close icon (a very small one) -- the Minimize
and Maximize buttons are gone.

> The only workaround that I’ve found is to close the Buddy List, then
re-open it using the Pidgin icon in the Sys Tray.  The Minimize, Maximize,
and Close buttons appear normally in the upper right-hand corner of the
List, but it still pushes any underlying Desktop icons over to the left or
far left when it opens.

> I can’t find any settings related to this in the Preferences.  How can I
fix this?  It’s very annoying to have to move my Desktop icons back into
place each morning.

I think the behavior that you're describing is caused by the "Dockable
Buddy List" checkbox in the "Windows Pidgin Options" plugin.

-D