Facebook Chat Away Message

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Thu May 8 03:44:29 EDT 2014

On 2014-05-08 00:37, Mark Doliner wrote:
> Hi Cassandra. Pidgin only sends auto replies on IM protocols that have
> historically featured auto replies (and the "auto-reply" preference
> only pertains to those IM protocols). Specifically, only AIM and
> Zephyr. This is because there's no way to indicate that a message is
> an auto-reply on other IM protocols, and they tend to confuse people.
>
> I think the purple plugin pack might include a plugin that adds auto
> reply functionality for other protocols. More info at
> https://bitbucket.org/rekkanoryo/purple-plugin-pack/wiki/Home

I'd be cautious about doing this on Facebook anyway, as this will make
Facebook think you are active, which adjusts how you appear via the web
interface, but it also prevents notifications from being sent to other
devices.

So for example, if you were using Facebook IM on another PC or mobile
device, that device would stop showing notifications every time your
pidgin autoresponds.

Facebook really isn't built for away messages.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/