Hello World, how to use bonjour

Tres Finocchiaro tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 08:59:42 EST 2014

> > my question goes into how to use it

First, please reply all when emailing this list so that your responses go
the entire list.

Secondly, the Bonjour protocol (or more properly known as ZeroConfig) is
already supported in Pidgin, so when you say "I would love to see more
features on this IM" it leads me to believe that you don't know that it is
already supported.  But please be aware that Bonjour does a lot more than
chat.  For example, Pidgin won't help you find a Bonjour-supported printer,
or find AirPlay devices on your network. :)

Here is the wikipedia article on ZeroConfig:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-configuration_networking

>From an implementation perspective, your network complexity can make or
break a Bonjour roll-out. This is because of the way discovery works.
Unless you have an mDNS reflector, running Bonjour from different subnets
can have problems.  http://linux.die.net/man/5/avahi-daemon.conf

>From a Linux-desktop perspective, install avahi-discover and it should work
automatically.

I do believe there is a lack of documentation on this topic, but from a
functionality perspective, it already works very well!

Below is a screenshot of Windows 8 talking to Ubuntu 12.04 using the
Bonjour protocol.

-Tres

- Tres.Finocchiaro at gmail.com