Hello World, how to use bonjour

Alexandro Colorado jza at oooes.org
Mon Nov 3 13:29:53 EST 2014

On 11/3/14, Tres Finocchiaro <tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > my question goes into how to use it
>

> First, please reply all when emailing this list so that your responses go
> the entire list.

Seems the mailing list is not configured the reply-to variable to the
mailing list by default.

> Secondly, the Bonjour protocol (or more properly known as ZeroConfig) is
> already supported in Pidgin, so when you say "I would love to see more
> features on this IM" it leads me to believe that you don't know that it is
> already supported.  But please be aware that Bonjour does a lot more than
> chat.  For example, Pidgin won't help you find a Bonjour-supported printer,
> or find AirPlay devices on your network. :)

If you read carefully you could see that I already knew all that. I
was asking for Pidgin Bonjour documentation and not Bonjour
documentation. Which is why I was addressing this mailing list.

> Here is the wikipedia article on ZeroConfig:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-configuration_networking
>
> From an implementation perspective, your network complexity can make or
> break a Bonjour roll-out. This is because of the way discovery works.
> Unless you have an mDNS reflector, running Bonjour from different subnets
> can have problems.  http://linux.die.net/man/5/avahi-daemon.conf
>
> From a Linux-desktop perspective, install avahi-discover and it should work
> automatically.
>
> I do believe there is a lack of documentation on this topic, but from a
> functionality perspective, it already works very well!

This is my point. A more specific questions goes on the lines of:
- How do I create an account.
- What do I need to be running t make the account work (you said to
install avahi-discover) but I think this is more complex than flipping
a switch on the preferences. IE seems this is a gtk app and I use KDE.
- What is the process to discover users, is there a 'scan' tool or
does users just show up on my buddy list.
- I see that the users show up on a bonjour group. Is this the default?