MSN stopped connecting after latest update

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Fri Nov 14 08:45:27 EST 2014

Tres Finocchiaro spake unto us the following wisdom:
> In short, Microsoft seems to have blacklisted Pidgin.  Since we're at their
> mercy, there's very little that can be done other than to switch to
> Microsoft's official client app.

This is simply not true.  Microsoft expired some old client IDs, one
of which Pidgin happened to be using.  See this bug for more details:

https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/16451

This problem is *not* related to the 2.10.10 update, it was simply
coincidentally at about the same time.  It is not (as far as we know)
an attempt by Microsoft to shut Pidgin out.  It is not (as far as we
know) additional protocol changes due to the Skype merger.  Let's not
just make stuff up.

As I understand it, 2.10.11 (which we hope to release soonish for
other reasons as well) will solve this problem.

Ethan