Errors in Pidgin 2.8

Tres Finocchiaro tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 09:33:02 EDT 2014

@Bill,

It sounds like something is preventing a good encrypted channel from
opening between your clients and AOL.  This can be caused by a few things,
namely 1. A change in AOLs protocol.  2.  A change in network settings on
your side.  3.  An expired certificate.

In the case of this specific error, it has roots that go back as far as 5
years.

https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/11142

Some recommendations are to temporarily disable encryption (one comment
suggests the unencrypted password is sent as MD5 and never sent as clear
text, I cannot confirm this).

I was able to reproduce your error, but my network administrator may be
restricting this traffic so I am not a good use case.  Perhaps someone else
can reproduce this as well.

-Tres

- Tres.Finocchiaro at gmail.com