Information about facebook chat

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Apr 10 04:44:38 EDT 2015

On 10/04/15 09:19, Giuseppe Cuttone wrote:
> Unfortunately, I saw the following information, and am very concerned
> (from: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/chat):
> <https://developers.facebook.com/docs/chat%29:>
>
> "On April 30, 2014, we announced the deprecation of the XMPP Chat API as
> part of the release of Platform API v2.0. The service and API this
> document covers will no longer be available after April 30, 2015.
>
> Once version 1.0 is deprecated on April 30, 2015, chat.facebook.com and
> the xmpp_login permission will no longer be available."
>
> My question is:
> After April 30, Does your program will continue working well, like now,
> with facebook account?

Only Facebook can really answer that.  Their announcement is confusing
as they use the term XMPP but then talk about total withdrawal.
Deprecation is a stage in which there is a more preferable alternative
but the old one is still supported.

If they really mean a total withdrawal, the Pidgin software supported on
this mailing list will cease to work, but there may be third party
plugins that support the new protocol.

Information about one third party plugin is available
at<https://code.google.com/p/pidgin-facebookchat/>.  As it was last
updated in 2010, there is a good chance that it will not work with the
latest protocol.