input method will be changed when I close a pidgin window

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Mon Jan 5 06:44:22 EST 2015

On 05/01/15 06:53, steven01997 wrote:

>      I am user from China. So I use chinese input method on my windows
> 8. When I open a Pidgin dialogue window, the IME status is looked like this:

This image was not present in the email (I checked the message source).

>      BUT, when I close or minisize this window, the IME status is
> changed to this :

This image (which has been lost because of replying plain text) contains
the Chinese character 英, in the system tray, which is short for 英语,
which means English.

>      It is invalid, for all the program running in the computer. I
> should press ctrl+blank space to enable IME.
>
>      so , is it a BUG ?

In my view, no application program should change the global state of the
IME.  However, in this case, it going to be GTK, rather than Pidgin that
is actually at fault.

Note that the Chinese IMEs for Windows commonly used in the West have
English and Chinese sub-modes, and it is possible that the IME has
switched between sub-modes.  This might happen because of a particular
key combination, but I would still expect it to be limited to the
current window.