Facebook not working on pidgin

Michael McConville mmcconville at mykolab.com
Thu Jul 9 23:17:28 EDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 09:38:00PM -0500, Nicolai Knaggs wrote:
> This just started happening today. It was working fine yesterday. It tries
> to login for a long time then I get an error message saying the server
> closed the connection.
>
> Can you help me get it working again;

What operating system are you using?

Facebook dropped XMPP support (which Pidgin uses) a while ago and seems
to have finally shut it off in the past day or two. They only use a
custom closed protocol now.

James Geboski is adding support for it as a Google Summer of Code
project. Last I heard, it was already usable. Here's the repo:

	https://github.com/jgeboski/purple-facebook

See the README for instructions.