Facebook not working on pidgin

Virgo Pärna virgo.parna at mail.ee
Fri Jul 10 08:04:34 EDT 2015

On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 23:17:28 -0400, Michael McConville <mmcconville at mykolab.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 09:38:00PM -0500, Nicolai Knaggs wrote:
>> This just started happening today. It was working fine yesterday. It tries
>> to login for a long time then I get an error message saying the server
>> closed the connection.
>
> Facebook dropped XMPP support (which Pidgin uses) a while ago and seems
> to have finally shut it off in the past day or two. They only use a
> custom closed protocol now.

	Strange thing is, that in Facebook Security Settings "Where
You're Logged In" shows under Char Pidgin attempts to log in. And in
Debug Windows:

jabber: Got a result iq with id [XXXXX] from
-[NUMBERS]@chat.facebook.com instead of expected
[USERNAME]@chat.facebook.com!

	So it appears, that XMPP itself works.

--