How to get pidgin working on a server with no SSL cert

Eion Robb eion at robbmob.com
Sat Jun 25 17:58:10 EDT 2016

Hi Dan,

I've just tried to connect to that XMPP server and I get a 'verify
certificate' popup once, for the self-signed certificate running on it.
Once you accept the certificate you shouldn't be bothered by it again, and
it'll show up in Tools->Certificates.

A website certificate can be different to an XMPP certificate, so trying to
extract the cert from the website won't get you far.

You can also point your server admin at services such as "Lets Encrypt" or
"Start Encrypt" which offer free, automated certificate systems.

Cheers,
Eion