GChat setup, login failure

Andrew Schwarzkopf adschwarzkopf at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 16:22:28 EDT 2016

Hi,

I am attempting to use Pidgin as a chat client with GChat, instead of being
logged into gmail and using the browser popup.

When I set it up as a Google Talk account and I try to Sign In with my
password, I get a sub-window saying:
"xxx at gmail.com/ disabled. Not Authorized"
(Actually, after setting up as Google Talk it appears to be automatically
changed to an XMPP account.  I assume this is not a problem.)

I have read that Google Talk should (as of 2015) use OAuth2 for
authentication, rather than username/password.  Has this been implmented in
Pidgin?  Additionally, I am not sure if GChat and Google Talk are actually
the same thing.  Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks!
Andrew