GChat setup, login failure

Andrew Schwarzkopf adschwarzkopf at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 15:32:32 EDT 2016

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response.

At that link, the second suggestion does not apply because I have not
enabled 2-factor authentication.

The first suggestion could work (I haven't tried it), but I am reluctant to
make my Google account "less secure" by allowing "less secure apps".  My
understanding is that apps that use OAuth2 authentication (as do the native
Google apps) will not get this error message.  Hence, I am asking whether
Pidgin natively supports OAuth2, or whether there is a plugin that enables
support for OAuth2.

For example, it seems that there is a blogging plugin (e.g. for Twitter)
that uses a form of OAuth.
http://www.krisbuytaert.be/blog/pidgin-and-oauth
https://code.google.com/archive/p/microblog-purple/

If there is such a plugin for GChat, that would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for any further help you can provide!

-Andrew