GChat setup, login failure

Michael McConville mmcco at mykolab.com
Mon Mar 21 15:37:30 EDT 2016

Andrew Schwarzkopf wrote:
> At that link, the second suggestion does not apply because I have not
> enabled 2-factor authentication.

I think it's often enabled implicitly (e.g. if you give them your cell
phone number) these days.

> The first suggestion could work (I haven't tried it), but I am
> reluctant to make my Google account "less secure" by allowing "less
> secure apps".  My understanding is that apps that use OAuth2
> authentication (as do the native Google apps) will not get this error
> message.  Hence, I am asking whether Pidgin natively supports OAuth2,
> or whether there is a plugin that enables support for OAuth2.

Not right now. You'll have to decide whether it's worth it.

> For example, it seems that there is a blogging plugin (e.g. for
> Twitter) that uses a form of OAuth.
>
> http://www.krisbuytaert.be/blog/pidgin-and-oauth
> https://code.google.com/archive/p/microblog-purple/
>
> If there is such a plugin for GChat, that would be ideal.

There's one from Nakul's GSoC project last year. It implements the
(non-XMPP) Hangouts protocol and supports a bunch of new features. I
don't know when it'll be generally available.