Automatically reconnecting after errors

pidgin at alexoren.com pidgin at alexoren.com
Tue Dec 5 18:02:45 EST 2017

On 2017-12-05 2:06 PM, Boris Gjenero wrote:
> On many occasions when re-connecting after a period of not using a Pidgin install I get some error, usually relating to Skypeweb or Google Talk XMPP accounts. A panel showing the error appears at the bottom of the contact list. I need to click a button there to reconnect. The reconnecting practically always works.
>
> The problem is, I don't want to have to click a button to reconnect. I simply want Pidgin to reconnect automatically when I start it or when I wake the computer. I also certainly don't want an account to become disabled without me intentionally and explicitly choosing to disable it.
>
> Reading elsewhere, it seems Pidgin is supposed to reconnect automatically except after fatal errors. I don't know what's going on. Are protocols inappropriately reporting some errors as fatal?
>
> Right now, I simply want this to work. Reconnecting automatically after all errors, regardless of whether they're considered fatal, would be fine with me. Something like Miranda NG's KeepStatus plugin would be ideal. Ideally, automatic reconnecting ought to abort after some number of consecutive failed attempts, but if it keeps trying forever, I'm okay with that.
>
> Is there some plugin or setting which will do what I want, or do I need to edit the source code?

There are some protocols that do not support multiple connections for the same user id, and will automatically disconnect the "old" connections.

Consider what an automatic reconnection will do in this case:
1. You connect from your home desktop as "Boris Gjenero".
2. You leave home without disconnecting and connect from your laptop, also as "Boris Gjenero".
3. The server recognizes a duplicate connection and forcefully disconnects desktop connection.
4. Pidgin on desktop detects disconnection and automatically reconnects.
5. The server recognizes a duplicate connection and forcefully disconnects laptop connection.
6. Pidgin on laptop detects disconnection and automatically reconnects.
7. goto 3 (Dijkstra be damned)