Automatically reconnecting after errors

Boris Gjenero boris.gjenero at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 18:13:56 EST 2017

On 2017-12-05 06:02 PM, pidgin at alexoren.com wrote:
> On 2017-12-05 2:06 PM, Boris Gjenero wrote:
>> On many occasions when re-connecting after a period of not using a
>> Pidgin install I get some error, usually relating to Skypeweb or
>> Google Talk XMPP accounts. A panel showing the error appears at the
>> bottom of the contact list. I need to click a button there to
>> reconnect. The reconnecting practically always works.
>>
>> The problem is, I don't want to have to click a button to reconnect. I
>> simply want Pidgin to reconnect automatically when I start it or when
>> I wake the computer. I also certainly don't want an account to become
>> disabled without me intentionally and explicitly choosing to disable it.
>>
>> Reading elsewhere, it seems Pidgin is supposed to reconnect
>> automatically except after fatal errors. I don't know what's going on.
>> Are protocols inappropriately reporting some errors as fatal?
>>
>> Right now, I simply want this to work. Reconnecting automatically
>> after all errors, regardless of whether they're considered fatal,
>> would be fine with me. Something like Miranda NG's KeepStatus plugin
>> would be ideal. Ideally, automatic reconnecting ought to abort after
>> some number of consecutive failed attempts, but if it keeps trying
>> forever, I'm okay with that.
>>
>> Is there some plugin or setting which will do what I want, or do I
>> need to edit the source code?
>
> There are some protocols that do not support multiple connections for
> the same user id, and will automatically disconnect the "old" connections.
>
> Consider what an automatic reconnection will do in this case:
> 1. You connect from your home desktop as "Boris Gjenero".
> 2. You leave home without disconnecting and connect from your laptop,
> also as "Boris Gjenero".
> 3. The server recognizes a duplicate connection and forcefully
> disconnects desktop connection.
> 4. Pidgin on desktop detects disconnection and automatically reconnects.
> 5. The server recognizes a duplicate connection and forcefully
> disconnects laptop connection.
> 6. Pidgin on laptop detects disconnection and automatically reconnects.
> 7. goto 3 (Dijkstra be damned)

I realize there are various situations where reconnecting after fatal
errors would lead to bad consequences. Those situations are sufficiently
rare for me that I want to do it regardless. I don't care if others
think doing that is wrong, but do realize that I might mean I need to
edit the source code and recompile. It would be nice to be able to do
this via an extension though. A simple limit on the number of successive
failed connection attempts would be enough to avoid most problems.

On IRC I was told that if the button says "Reconnect" then a
reconnection should eventually happen. Maybe I was just impatient and
need to give it more time. I'm used to reconnection happening in a few
seconds in other programs, and didn't realize it may take a minute or
more with Pidgin.