incompatible with screenReader

Konstantin Kharlamov hi-angel at yandex.ru
Sat Oct 28 15:04:34 EDT 2017

On 28.10.2017 20:01, Олег wrote:
> Hello. the latest version of the program are incompatible with
> ScreenReaders, for example "NonVisual Desktop Acces". it makes the
> program inaccessible for blind users. whether taken to fix the problem?

I'm just a random user, but from a small research, it seems, to enable
accessibility you have to set GTK_MODULES="gail:atk-bridge" environment
variable.

In a bit more details, I found this article
https://developer.gnome.org/accessibility-devel-guide/stable/gad-how-it-works.html.en
it says

 > "Pure GTK+ applications", e.g. those that use gtk+ but do not link to
 > libgnome, rely on the value of the GTK_MODULES environment variable,
 > which must be set to "gail:atk-bridge" in order to enable assistive
 > technology support.

I have tested with Orca screen-reader, and indeed it starts working for
running it like `GTK_MODULES="gail:atk-bridge" pidgin`. I don't know
though what's the overhead of this, and why it is not loaded by default.
You might want to report a bug.