cannot set up an account

Jim J jj_ranch at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 17 19:51:43 EDT 2018

      I have downloaded pidgin and am having trouble getting my account to connect.  I wanted to use Jabber, but was informed that jabber is no longer taking new clients.  I tried to set up google talk via my google gmail account.  I don't know if the user name, domain and password I entered  were correct.  Also, in the advanced setting I chose encrypted.  When I went to my google account, they stated that they would not allow a "sign in" from a less secure site.  I changed the settings to allow less secure site, but I still could not get connected.

Would you suggest I try setting up with AIM< GADU GADU, ICQ or IRC?  And would you please show me an example of what I am supposed to enter into the requested boxes when setting up the account.  As you can tell, I am not savvy with this technology and would appreciate your assistance.

Thanks,

Sarah Jones