Problem building Pidgin.

Konstantin Kharlamov hi-angel at yandex.ru
Wed May 5 09:49:32 EDT 2021

Disclaimer: just a random user here.

So, before anything else: I suspect you don't want the latest upstream Pidgin.
You see, latest released version is 2.14.4, and if you want to develop a
libpurple plugin, you better use that one. The 3.0 version was never released,
and devs thinking about releasing it for a long time already. I also think it
might have introduced some incompatibilities (since it is a new major version),
so, anyway, I don't think you currently want it.

-------

With that said, if you are really interested in latest upstream libpurple, then…
Regarding the error: I looked at `meson.build` file, it tries to find the
talkatu subproject in the system (by using pkg-config, I suppose like `pkg-
config --cflags --libs talkatu` or something similar), fails at that, then
searches "talkatu" directory in `subprojects/` subdirectory, fails again. Idk
what results in the error regarding "Mercurial" though (does Meson try to
download a subproject? I never knew it does that), but I suppose if you clone
`talkatu` into `subprojects/` sub-directory, the error will go away.

But you don't need all that since you only want libpurple. You can safely
disable `gtkui`. That is, execute something like `meson build -Dgtkui=false` (if
you look at paragraph with talkatu dependency, you'll see it is only checked
when gtkui is enabled).